It's International T-shirt Day today and in celebration were having an awesome sale! Sign up to our newsletter to get this one time deal. You can find the signup box at the bottom right hand corner of the screen.
In the mean time check out these 7 fun facts about t-shirts that we'd like to share with you:
- In 1904 the t-shirt was first produced and marketed by the Cooper Underwear company. They we're made simply by separating the top and bottom half of one-piece long underwear.
- T-Shirts became a part of the United States Navy’s uniform in 1905, which required a buttonless, white cotton undershirt. It was also adopted into the United States Army a few years later, during World War I.
- Cotton, the most common t-shirt material, has been grown by humans for over 7,000 years. The first evidence of cotton use was found in the city of Mehrgarh, one of the earliest South Asian farming settlements in the world.
- Marlon Brando first wore a t-shirt unadorned in his movie, A Streetcar Named Desire. ("STELLLLAA!!") It generated a ton of controversy, and caused a nationwide spike in t-shirt sales. Brando is also credited with popularizing jeans with his role in The Wild One. James Dean is another celebrity credited with popularizing t-Shirts as more than undershirts.
- The world’s most expensive t-shirt design costs a jaw-dropping $400,000. Although it’s made of organic cotton, it also has a set of 16 diamonds sewn into the fabric, which together amount to 9 carats. Not exactly the kind of shirt you’d wear to your brother-in-law’s barbeque, now is it?
- A whopping 62% of Americans claim to own ten or more shirts. That’s enough shirts to circle the globe 34 times if lined up one next to the another.
- International t-shirt day is on June 21st.